Are you aware of the many benefits of non slip coatings on your hard floors or on items around your home? It is no secret that prevention is better than cure and preventing the nasty surprise of an injured family member or employee is certainly no exception.
This prevention can be proactively done by applying non slip coatings to the abovementioned surfaces. Danger zones to look out for in your home, industrial site, nursing home facility or offices include:
- Baths and showers.
- Tiled or any other uncarpeted floors.
- Elevated areas or areas with steps and ramps, such as your balcony or patio.
- Outdoor and indoor stairways.
- The tiling around swimming pools.
- Factory workspaces where spills may be frequent.
- Showrooms and other highly polished surfaces.
There are many more hazardous areas, because slipping can be caused by spillage, worn tiles, the nature of the materials (such as porcelain and ceramics) or unforeseen dangers such as tripping in the course of certain dangerous occupations.
Non slip coatings or other applied materials such as non skid tape and rubber form an all-round anti slip flooring and material solution, but how does it work? By applying the resin of non slip coatings to a floor or bathtub, an invisible layer of grip or tread is formed. By having this additional layer present, your feet are provided with the required hold in situations when a bathtub may be soapy or a factory workspace is slippery. In addition, this layer would be worn down by frequent traffic in that area, as opposed to the tile itself being worn down and losing whatever grip it did have.
If you have invested in non slip floor tiles you will be aware that they are costly to replace and require proper maintenance and additional grip and protection in the form of non slip coatings. You may also be considering your domestic needs. Families with young children or older individuals are highly susceptible to injury, but everyone is a potential victim of a fall. The quality of the tiling and fittings in your home also factor in quite heavily, and you may wish to coat your surfaces if your flooring is worn. The following are statistics about falling collected from data in the US and Canada:
- 67 per cent of fall fatalities are among people who are 75 or older.
- Hip fractures are a common problem caused by falling and half of all people over 65 who sustain such a fracture cannot return home and live independently. Because of this, 40 per cent of all nursing home admissions are because of falling.
- The average workplace slip, trip or fall costs the employer over 22 000 dollars in direct and indirect costs.
- Falling accounts for 8 million annual hospital emergency room visits.
With proper housekeeping and cleaning, being mindful of hazardous areas and enlisting the assistance of professionals to apply non slip coatings to these areas, your family members and workers are much less likely to slip up.